We’ve all been there. Ruts are no fun. In fact, they can be downright nasty, exacting heavy tolls on our productivity, health, and morale. They can be our biggest obstacle towards achieving our goals. While it can be easy to blame outside circumstances, the fact is it’s usually a reflection of our own occasionally skewed thinking.
Here are 5 actions that you can take immediately:
- Decide to take action: Right now. Nothing feels better than taking action. Take action now and every day.
- Shake things up: Get out your normal routine. Walk or drive a different way home or work…or take the bus. Do a different cardio routine, try different recipes, anything. Change up your surroundings and you’ll spur your creative thinking. This will help you hone in on where you’re at and why.
- Quickly record and act on those things that are keeping you stuck: As you take action and do things differently, glimmers of understanding about why you’re stuck will begin to hit. Record and act on these right away.
- Pat yourself on the back: Few things are as encouraging as recognition of hard effort. So be your own best friend and cut yourself some slack. You’re taking action. You’re moving in the right direction. Recognize your efforts. Everyday.
- Up the positivity factor: Don’t waste time feeling sorry for yourself. Surround yourself with upbeat people. Their enthusiasm will rub off on you. Nix watching or reading the news for a while. You’ll begin to feel an immediate lift.
Perhaps, most importantly…have a laugh! Don’t take life too seriously. See the funny side. It’s there even in the most banal of circumstances. Without humor, the world and the cosmos would have ended ages ago.
Know anyone stuck in a rut? They would probably appreciate you sharing this with them.