Are you under the assumption that you’re indispensable at work? That, in your absence, everything will fall apart at the office? Well, it won’t. While you may make lots of amazing contributions to the company, not taking regular vacations is unhealthy for you, office morale and the company’s growth. In fact, by taking time away, you provide team members the chance to develop their skills and manage projects while you’re away.
Here are 5 more benefits to you taking your vacation:
- You set an important example – Particularly in the US, people are not taking vacations. One survey shows that the majority of US workers take less than half of their earned vacation time. Talk about a prescription for burnout. By taking vacation yourself, you’ll show the importance and necessity of taking time off.
- Recharge & gain fresh momentum – there’s a connection between taking regular breaks and your level of productivity. Taking breaks boosts your ability to focus and get things done . You need to detach from your work first in order to shine more brightly at it.
- Time away boosts creativity – fresh faces, places, smells and tastes, can help unlock creative ideas. When we are always “close” to the problems of work, when we never silence our phones or stop responding to email, we get trapped into certain mental habits. It’s not until we’re lazily drifting in and out of a delicious nap in a hammock by the sea – when work seems a universe away – that we suddenly find the answer we’ve needed all along.
- Vacations beat back burnout – people who regularly take time away to relax are less likely to hit the wall and experience burnout. They remain more creative and productive than their overworked, under-rested counterparts.
- Vacations boost health – chronic stress exacts a harsh toll on your mental and physical health. You’re more likely to become ill, make poorer decisions, be more irritable and have sleep problems. Yikes. Best to take some time off in order to up your game at work.
Taking time away from the stresses of the workplace and daily life will give you the break you need so that you can return to you life refreshed and better equipped to handle whatever comes your way.
Have you booked your time off this summer? Are you taking your full amount of vacation and encouraging your staff to do the same?