Through the years I’ve discovered something about goal setting whether it be at New Year’s or any other time of year. They seem to be easier to make than to keep. Here’s a list of road-tested ideas to help you make your goals stick.
- Believe in yourself – believe that no matter what, you will figure out what you need to know, when you need to know it. Know that somehow, some way, you will always land on your feet. So go ahead and take some chances.
- Persistence – do not give up on your desire to move ahead. Goals may change, but your desire to grow should not.
- Consistency – apply yourself regularly to your goals, not every so often, but every day.
- Follow-up – take action on hunches and what you know needs doing to get better, quicker results.
- Accountability – be accountable to your dreams & desires…no one else can be held to account other than yourself.
- Positive attitude – enjoy the ride. Achieving something is no fun if the journey was nasty all along the way.
- Learn from your mistakes – don’t get down on yourself; outcomes that you didn’t expect give answers to what you’ll need to do differently next time.
- Appreciate the present moment – too often we’re focused on always reaching further. Remember that happiness is along the way. Appreciate the ‘now’.
- Do not choose to do nothing – often the default for many is to think about change but not act on it. Do otherwise. Commit to daily action.
- Dump the guilt – focus squarely on the future. Dwelling on past disappointments will only keep you there.
Which of these ten has worked best for you?
Which are you going to focus on?