Overview: As the saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make a damn good drink with it. Here we share our recipe of learnings for what could be THE best lemonade you’ll ever make to sustain you in 2021.
As far as years go, 2020 was a real lemon…which is why I decided that there was no better time than the present to make some fine tasting lemonade. Why waste a good crisis? The recipe I’m going to share will be different for everyone with you serving up your own fresh and unique ingredients. No special kitchen tools or baking required. Low calorie and very nutritious. Guaranteed organic and very, very good for you.
Here’s my recipe:
- Begin by looking at all the things that you have learned about yourself. Add all this to a large durable jug.
- Add to this to all the cool things that you’ve learned about others.
- Squeeze in all the healthy things you’ve either forgotten about or simply taken for granted (think the scent of a rose, the beauty of trees, the sun on your face…).
- Sprinkle in as many drops of extra positive surprise as you can. Remember, the flavor only becomes better with each sweet addition.
- Stir all ingredients together. Sip a little daily to keep you on your game!
Here’s my personal ingredient list:
For the ‘about myself’ ingredients
- Re-affirmation of what matters most: spouse, friends, family, self care.
- Discovered the depths of my resilience. (Bring it!)
- I’ve discovered how strong I am and of how strong others are.
- I’ve learned what I can live with and what I can live without.
- I’ve spent much more time outdoors (often, it was the only recreational option).
For the ‘about others’ ingredients
- Got to know much better the incredible people who are my neighbors.
- Saw so many more people helping one another.
- Got to meet so many amazing & interesting people via the explosion of online conferences and events.
- I’ve seen people from all walks of life, many from unimaginably tough circumstances, rise to the challenges of the moment and come together as one common humanity.
For the ‘forgotten/taken for granted’ ingredients
- I’ve discovered beauty around me that’s always been there (neat green thingies in my garden, the wind on my face, the park down the street).
- I’ve experienced a deeper appreciation for the beauty of the present moment.
- Observed waaaay more people on bikes.
- Witnessed mother earth receive a much needed reprieve. Who knew that the skies of LA are actually blue!?
- I have a deepened appreciation for the awesome fueling power of gratitude.
For the ‘extra surprise’ ingredients
- Witnessed the rising from the quagmire of darkness the ghouls of hate, racism, misogyny, greed & division…all the stuff that needs to see the bright, focused light of day so that it can be fully expunged.
- I’ve witnessed the rise of “good trouble”.
- I’ve discovered fresh hope.
As your 2021 unfolds and you experience the inevitable bumps, I hope that you’ll stop and join me for a tall, refreshing glass of your own bespoke, bump crushing lemonade.
What ingredients will you include in your recipe?